The arrival of a newborn needs a lot of preparation and lifestyle changes. Most new parents are apprehensive about how to care for the child at home. The situation becomes more scary if its a premature baby. The birth is considered premature if the baby is born before 37 weeks of pregnancy is completed. Premature birth comes with certain complications for the baby like difficulty in breathing, underdeveloped organs with often need medical transplant and expensive NICU care.
Most parents go through extreme stress since they aren’t able to spend time or even hold their baby for long. A majority also undergo depression watching the feeble state of their newborn who is attached to the ventilator. Most mothers are even discharged before their babies, making it harder on them since they can’t take their child home.
But there’s no need to worry in case your baby is born premature. While neonatal healthcare differs from country to country, in most cases, premature babies do recover and come back home healthy. Here are a few things you can do to help your child:
- Find the best hospital: Choose a hospital with the best pediatric care and doctors which is equipped to handle any or all complications that might arise.
- Spend time: Even if your baby is in the NICU, try to hold it with the doctor’s permission. Parental touch sometimes does help your baby recover faster. Spend as much time with him/her as you can. You can gently touch, hold or cradle your baby. Mothers can even feed their babies if the doctors allow.
- Arrange money for medical expenses: Premature baby treatment in India costs anywhere between an average of Rs. 5 to Rs. 15 lakhs. The cost might rise if your baby needs a surgery or an organ transplant. Consider gathering money in advance through loans or crowdfunding so you can get the treatment started at once.
- Don’t be in a hurry to take your baby home: Most parents are eager to take their baby home, which is undertandable, but giving a few extra days of intensive care to your baby will only make it stronger and avoid any future problems.
- Be informed: When your baby is ready to be taken home, be sure to ask your doctor on what you could do to help your baby adjust and become healthy at home. Get some quick tips to be ready to help your baby recover at home.
Dealing with premature birth is not easy but it’s important to not panic and stay strong for the sake of your baby.